Hopewell had its beginning early in the nineteenth century when the community’s German Lutherans established a school in a hillside log building under the leadership of Henry Ripple and Gottlieb Schober. Later a congregation was established and out of this grew what is believed to be the first Sunday School in North Carolina.
Formally organized as a Moravian congregation on Sunday, June 19, 1932, Hopewell now embarked upon building a new brick church, which was dedicated on July 4, 1937.
More construction followed World War II, with a Scout hut in 1959 and a parsonage completed in 1960 for Norman Byerly, Hopewell’s first full-time resident pastor. Hopewell’s current sanctuary and Christian education building were constructed in 1964.